Auction score

I didn't go to the auction this week, but I saw this pitcher on the website and ran down over lunch and left a bid that turned out to be successful. The manager at the auction house said things went cheap, I'm kind of bummed that I didn't go, there were a few other pieces I would have bid on.

I think that this is redware, but I'm going to have to do some research. The unglazed bottom, rim, and scrapes on the applied handle all have that dark reddish color. I'm pretty sure its old, the interior glaze has crackled like you'd expect, but that's all I know. I feel like I've seen the orange color and/or polka dots before, but I'm not sure.

If anyone has any redware knowledge or knows of a good source let me know.

5 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Kicking myself. I thought there were several good things - did not know about leaving a bid. Eventually, we'll go together.

David said...

Good things like those Herend plates perhaps? =)

I don't know what they went for but china is usually a really good buy down there.

Martha said...

A nice pitcher -- I don't know anything about Redware but think it will go well in your house!

shannon said...

my heart jumped a little when i saw the score. it's really lovely!! i have no idea about redware either...but i do know good taste and baby, you gots that!!

Decorina said...

Yes! I think it is redware - a really nice example. I think that the dot pattern is relatively rare. What a lovely object.